Wednesday 23 April 2014

April 24 2014

In the last two weeks I haven't had much to blog about; life with four children is quite busy and usually by the end of the day I'm ready to flop on the couch and relax. I am so glad to have my children to keep me occupied during this waiting game, they keep me so busy that there have been days where the thought of my tumor hasn't even cross my mind. I haven't had any major or new symptoms since finding out about the tumor, in fact, I think some of the remedies that I've been taking just might be helping with any minor symptoms that I do have.

April 24 2014 - it is the day that you will celebrate a loved ones birthday or perhaps your own birthday. It is the day that a new baby will come into this world. It is the day that someone will be diagnosed with cancer. It is the day that someone will lose their life. It is the day that a baby laughs for the first time. It is the day that someone somewhere has major surgery. It is the day where you will continue to take care of someone who is fighting their own battle. It is the day when a complete stranger smiles at you which in turn 'makes your day'. It is the day that your sweet child says "I love you" for the first time. It is the day that some of you will take for granted, you'll wake up, go to work, go to school, take care of your kids, drink a coffee, stress over something silly, get upset at a loved one for reasons that you won't remember in a week from now, by mid-day you'll wish the day was over.  For many of you, April 24 2014, will just be... any. other. day.

April 24 2014 - it is the day that I will go for my contrast MRI. It is the day that I have been waiting two months for and dreading it at the exact same time. It is the day that I will most likely re-live the emotions that I felt when I initially found out about my Spinal Cord Tumor (SCT). It is the day that will determine if I need life altering surgery within the next week, month, six months, or perhaps even year. It is the day I will travel to Princess Margaret Hospital, and at 4:30pm will be put into a  huge machine that looks like this ...



I will have an IV put into me. Once a few images have been taken, I will then have contrast (dye) released into my veins and have some more images done, this will enhance the MRI scan images to give the surgeons a better idea of what my tumor looks like. Like most things medical related the 'contrast' comes with risks and side effects :  

MRI Contrast Side Effects

Though MRI contrast (gadolinium) is safer than the CT contrast, there are still some risks associated with the injection. The most common side effects include:
  • Allergic reaction
  • Flushing/redness
  • Hives
  • Blood clots
  • Dizziness
  • Shortness of breath 

. . . Okay then. 

April 24 2014 : It is the day that I will be grateful that I have supportive friends, family and even complete strangers sending love my way. It is the day that I will be grateful for modern technology. It is the day that I will be thankful that I live in Canada and that we have such an amazing health care system. It is the day that I will be strong for those who are weak. And it is the day that I will take another step on my journey with a SCT. 


On April 28th I will call into my surgeons office. With me on hold, the receptionist will ask the doctor (who will have my scans in front of him) if he needs to see me right away. From there we will discuss what the next steps for me will be.


So on April 24 2014, I ask you to be grateful, be grateful for your health, your home, your happiness, your friends, and your family. Be grateful for April 24th 2014, because for most of you, it will just be. . . any. other. day.


-Eileen












No comments:

Post a Comment